Art Contest for Annual Report
The Town Clerk’s office is holding an art contest to determine what will be used for the cover of the town’s annual report. Would you like to have your photo or artwork on the cover of the next annual report? Submissions are due before Aug. 26. For more information go to www.town.winthrop.ma./home/news/annual-report-art-work-cover-contest
Update on Winthrop Shore Drive Work
The following work items are ongoing along Winthrop Shore Drive. Drivers can expect to see these activities continue over the next two weeks. Construction continues to progress in a northerly direction up Winthrop Shore Drive from Beacon Circle. The work will continue to move north and includes:
- Removal of the ocean side sidewalk and curb
- Excavating to install the storm drainage system including catch basins to collect street runoff, manholes, pipe, and infiltration chambers, which will store the rainfall runoffs and infiltrate it into the sandy soils below Winthrop Shore Drive.
Traffic and Parking Impacts
- During the work day, traffic is detoured off Winthrop Shore Drive to Shirley Street. Detour signs are provided to direct traffic. State and Winthrop police are provided to assist in the detouring of traffic.
- After the work day is completed, two-way traffic is restored on Winthrop Shore Drive.
- During construction, approximately 25 to 30 ocean-side parking spaces will be taken up by the construction zone.
- After the work day is completed, some of these spaces are available for overnight parking (4 p.m. to 7 a.m.).
Free concert, movie at Ingleside
The Winthrop Parks and Recreation Department, under the leadership of director Sean Driscoll, will host a concert by the band, Smoking Joe and the Henchmen, tonight (Thursday) at 7 at Ingleside Park.
Following the performance, the movie “Trolls” will be shown on a large screen at the park for the enjoyment of local families.
Both events are free of charge.