By Sue Ellen Woodcock
The second major fire in less than a week was sparked by a plumber’s torch at 1000 Governors Park, according to Winthrop Fire Chief Paul Flanagan.
The chief said calls for fire in the building started coming in at 1:45 p.m. Tuesday. He explained that plumbers were doing work and ignited a partition and fire was introduced to the inside of the walls. It traveled to two condominiums and 25 people had to be immediately evacuated. Members of the Winthrop police started the evacuations but were called out of the building when the more got too thick. Firefighters with air masks took over.
The fire displaced a total of 51 people who were then assisted by the American Red Cross and the town’s Medical Reserve Corp. A shelter was set up at the senior center where food was served. Winthrop House of Pizza and Nick’s supplied pizza. A bus from the MBTA was also brought in the help transport people. In total, five units were directly impacted by the fire.
The Governors Park complex is a diverse community consisting of 14 large condominium buildings.