Special to the Transcript
One Sister of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, who is a native of Winthrop, is celebrating a Jubilee this year.
Sister Marie Esther Sivertsen was born in Winthrop. Currently, she ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. She is celebrating 70 years with the Congregation this year.
Sister Marie Esther entered the Congregation on Feb. 2, 1952, from St. John the Evangelist Parish, Winthrop. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1959.
Sister Marie Esther’s ministries include:
• Teacher, St. Ann, Terre Haute (1954),
• Teacher, Our Lady of Mercy, Chicago (1954-57),
• Teacher, Cathedral, Fort Wayne (1957-58),
• Teacher, Our Lady of Sorrows, Chicago (1958-59),
• Teacher, St. Therese, Wilson, N.C. (1959-62),
• Teacher, Maternity BVM, Chicago (1962-63),
• Teacher, Cheverus, Malden, Mass. (1962-66),
• Teacher, St. Patrick, Fayetteville, N.C. (1966-68),
• Teacher, Our Lady of Providence High School, Clarksville (1968-70),
• Teacher, St. Rose High School, Chelsea, Mass. (1970-87),
• Teacher, Coyle and Cassidy, Taunton, Mass. (1987-88),
• Teacher, Our Lady of Nazareth Academy, Wakefield, Mass. (1988-94),
• Archives Assistant, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods (1995-2016), and
• Volunteer, Providence Spirituality & Conference Center, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods (2016-21).
The Sisters of Providence, a congregation of 214 women religious, with 300 Providence Associates, collaborate with others to create a more just and hope-filled world through prayer, education, service and advocacy. The Sisters of Providence have their motherhouse at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, located just northwest of downtown Terre Haute, Ind., which is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Saint Mother Theodore Guerin founded the Sisters of Providence at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in 1840. Today, Sisters of Providence minister in 13 states, the District of Columbia and Asia, through works of love, mercy and justice. More information about the Sisters of Providence and their ministries can be found at SistersofProvidence.org.
For more information, contact Jason Moon, media relations manager, at 812-535-2810, or email [email protected], or contact Maureen Dickinson, director of Advancement Services, at 812-535-2801.
Note to media: The Congregation of the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and Providence Health Care, Inc., each are separately incorporated in Indiana, have different governing boards and operate separate functions. The Sisters of Providence own property at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Ind., which is separate from property owned by Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College or Providence Health Care, Inc. and St. Mary’s Senior Living. The Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods sponsor Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, St. Mary’s Senior Living and Providence Health Care. We request you honor these distinctions in your reporting.