Supporting Candidates Who Believe in Science
As a voter and a patient, I know that it is critical to support candidates who believe in science and believe in the work being done day in and day out by the biopharmaceutical industry and researchers. These researchers are working tirelessly in their dedication to defeating COVID-19, while also continuing to research new treatments and potential cures for rare and chronic conditions.
For individuals like me living with the gene for Huntington’s disease (HD), this work is of the utmost importance. Huntington’s is a genetic disorder that causes the progressive breakdown of nerve cells in the brain. Some people describe it as having ALS, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimer’s all at once. Living with the gene, I can anticipate that I will eventually have the disease and start to experience symptoms, which can include everything from difficulty concentrating to lapses in memory, and other brain changes that cause abnormal involuntary movements and mood changes.
There is currently no cure or way of slowing down HD, only ways to manage symptoms. However, scientists and researchers have delivered options for the most complicated conditions known to man, and I believe that with the proper policies and support in place, they can also do so for patients like me. We must advocate for proposals that not only lower costs and ensure access, but also protect biopharmaceutical innovation. As we face one of the biggest public health challenges of our lifetime, there is only space for proposals that can promise to do both, and leaders that support it.
We need to elect leaders that will bolster the biopharmaceutical industry as they work to find answers for COVID-19. I can only hope that their efforts to do so will set a precedent for patients like me, who are waiting each day for answers of our own.
Seth Rotberg, MNM
Disagrees with Editorial
I am calling out a lie in the editorial of 10/08/2020 entitled TWTWTW x 100. You stated that President Trump did not denounce white supremacist groups in his last debate. This is a lie.
When the President was asked by Chris Wallace, “Are you willing tonight to condemn white supremacists and malitia groups?”
The President’s response was, “Sure. I’m willing to do that. Who do you want me to condemn? Give me a name.”
As the President was quoted on 10/02/2020, “I condemn all white supremacists. If I say it a hundred times it wouldn’t be enough for the fake media.” Or the President’s response on August 5, 2019, “In one voice, our nation must condemn racism, bigotry and white supremacy.”
The above has been the President’s publicly recorded response for decades. Check the facts for yourself. Below is a list of public denunciations of racism by the President. The below examples which are not even close to a comprehensive list include:
• February 14, 2000 NBC TV
• March 14, 2015 NBC TV
• February 25, 2016 NBC TV
• February 26, 2016 ABC TV
• February 29, 2016 The Today Show
• March 1, 2016 ABC news
• March 1, 2016 PBS News Hour
• March 3, 2016 MSNBC TV Live Report
• March 3, 2016 FOX News
• March 6, 2016 Face The Nation TV
• July 23, 2016 Meet the Press TV
• August 25, WMUR TV Channel 9
• November 2, 2016 CNN TV
• November 22, 2016 CNN Wolf Blitzer Report
• November 14, 2017 CBS News Special Report
• November 15 2017, CNBC TV
• August 22, 2017 CNN
• September 5, 2017 TV News Report
• August 5, 2019 TV News Report
• August 8 2019 TV Video Report
• September 29, 2020 Presidential Debate
On your second point in the same editorial about Trump’s having contracted the Covid 19 virus and his response to it: You should be proclaiming President Trump’s remarkable triumph in bringing therapeutics to market to resolve this virus within 7 months! His 3 day recovery is a testament to that.
So, this writer believes we can not ever stop denouncing racism. However, there should never be a time when we lie about calling anyone a racist! The Transcript Journal Editorial staff owe their readers more truth and responsibility in their reporting.
So in light of the anti-American forces prevalent today, exercise sound judgement and vote for the American loving patriot when you vote.
Paul Caruccio- Chairman Winthrop Republican Town Committee
Why Im backing The Democrats
I voted for Vice President Joe Biden and Senator Kamala Harris because, along with Democrats leaders at the federal and state levels:
• They will restore health to the American people during this COVID pandemic and practice health protections BY EXAMPLE.
• They will work to restore our US economy as Joe Biden did after the 2008 recession.
• They won’t give Wall Street billionaires $2 trillion in tax breaks that made for a $2 trillion plus national deficit. Wall Street CEO’s will pay their fair share.
• They will not cut Pay Role taxes that are the SOURCE of funding for Social Security and Medicare. (Trump plan is to cut Pay Role taxes to defund Social Security by 2023.)
• They will support sound public education from pre-K thru college, not forgetting good vocational/technical training.
• They will re-instate labor protection laws to save workers from on-the-job accidents and death.
• They will not lock children in cages.
• They will work to insure racial, economic, gender, and LGBTQ equality in areas of work, criminal justice, housing, etc.
• They will HONOR our military and veterans with quality health care and benefits.
• They won’t close my US Post Office; they may expand services.
• They will work to ban the sale of all high-powered, military-style weapons and guns that currently kill 100 adults and children a day.
• They will re-join the Paris Agreement and reinstate environmental protections that can reduce fossil fuel emissions that are warming our planet and causing increased flooding, fires, hurricanes, etc.
• They will work to create alternative energy green jobs for current fossil fuel workers.
• The credible Biden-Harris team will work to insure national security and re-establish our nation as a leader of world peace and democracy.
Donna Segreti Reilly