By Kate Anslinger
School may be out for the summer, but that didn’t stop the School Committee from meeting to discuss some important details that affect the upcoming academic year.
The majority of furniture and supplies are projected to be delivered and placed in the new high school/middle school by the end of the month and as soon as summer school ends on August 5, phones will be turned on in the new building.
The committee applauded the Viking Pride Committee for executing an outstanding event at Miller Field, followed by tours.
“We had 500 people tour the new building on July 2,” said School Superintendent John Macero. “People were very supportive of the building.”
The parent/teacher board came out to request that a tree be dedicated at the new school to Ellie Govoni, in memory of her longtime support of the Winthrop School district.
Once the landscaping at the school is complete, Macero will work with staff members to make sure it is in a place that will be seen for Ellie.
“I think it’s a fitting tribute,” said Macero. “If you knew Ellie, you knew about the support that she provided for our students who are moving on into life.”
Ellie was known for the annual dinners that she happily provided for students. The motion for the dedication was approved pending placement of the tree.
In other business:
- The Arthur T. Cummings School playground is due to be repaired. The committee is working on replacing some of the equipment that had been deemed as faulty by a state inspector.
- The Winthrop Math Committee has been diligently working on researching ways to provide more successful math instruction for students. The committee meets once a month and has added professional development to the academic calendar for the upcoming year.
- The committee has received recommendations that the WHS basketball court be dedicated to and named after Chris Tsiotos. Tsiotos was the highest scouring individual in Winthrop, resulting in 53 points in one game. Tsiotos comes from the community and has been a landmark in basketball.
- The WHS girls soccer team will be hosting a car wash on August 27, 9am-12pm at the Arthur T. Cummings School circle.
- The Winthrop School Department is participating in the Summer Food Service Program. Free meals are provided at the old middle school, 151 Pauline Street. Breakfast service is 9-10am and lunch service is 12-1pm.