As of Tuesday, Jan. 12, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health has notified Town officials of one hundred and twenty-six (126) additional confirmed positive cases of the virus in Winthrop since January 5. These bring the new total case number up to 1,530 cases with 33 deceased, 155 in isolation and 1,342 recovered.
Testing is still being offered at the McKenna Basketball Courts. The schedule is as follows for the rest of this week:
Winthrop #Stopthespread COVID Testing Schedule
Thursday Jan. 14: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. (walk up)
Friday Jan. 15: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. (drive thru)
Indoor testing information will be announced when details have been finalized with the State DPH.
Residents are strongly encouraged to avoid high risk activities, especially indoor social gatherings, and all Massachusetts residents are under orders from the Governor to wear masks at all times while in public.
• Remember that an infected individual can spread COVID-19 before they have symptoms, which is why social distancing, maintaining a minimum of 6 feet from others, is critical.
• Those who must go out are urged to:
• Avoid gathering in groups
• Maintain 6 feet from people outside your household
• Do not shake hands or hug
• Wash your hands often
• Those who are at a high risk for COVID-19, including those over the age of 65 and with underlying health conditions, are advised to stay home and avoid non-essential tasks and errands
• Wear a mask in indoor and outdoor spaces at all times.
Face coverings should:
• Cover nose and mouth
• Fit snugly and comfortably against the side of the face
• Be secured with either ties or ear loops
• Permit breathing without difficulty
• Be able to be washed and machine dried without damage. Face masks should be washed regularly depending on the amount of use.
Town officials encourages everyone to stay informed regarding COVID-19. The following websites are recommended for the most updated information:
Town of Winthrop COVID-19 resource page: WinthropCOVID19.com
Town of Winthrop Official Website: www.town.winthrop.ma.us
Massachusetts Department of Public Health: www.mass.gov/covid-19
Massachusetts 2-1-1 general COVID-19 information: Click here or dial 2-1-1 (24/7)
United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: www.cdc.gov
The best way to contact the Public Health Department is by email at [email protected]